Nothing can really take the place of Jacksons. According to Wikipedia:
Jacksons was an English department store chain. It was founded by Edward Jackson in September 1875. Its flagship branch was located in central Reading, Berkshire, occupying a prominent site, Jacksons Corner, on Kings Road, just south of the Market Place. It expanded and at its peak operated from seven locations. It closed its remaining original store in Reading in December 2013. Throughout its history, the company was owned by its founding family.
It is just too sad to have the windows of that landmark store stand there empty. So, Two Rivers Press has been allowed to fill the window with a display celebrating our 20 years as Reading’s own publisher.
Come by and take a look. Then head to Waterstones on Broad Street or to us online and buy a book!